Thursday 3 July 2014

Satellites and stuff

Being so far north brings with it some strange problems.  It is difficult for example to estimate what time of day it is. The sun doesn’t set unless you are lucky enough to be South of a large mountain and even then it is still daylight all night. I now pull the blinds over all the windows and skylights apart from one at the rear of the van which I leave open a few centimetres – just enough to see by. I still find myself waking up several hours too early and my internal body clock has ceased to function!
satellites point down here
I thought I would have a go a getting some television last night. My mobile phone compass can’t work out which way is north, it give various different direction seemingly at random. Even my good old magnetic compass seems totally confused.  In the end I did manage to get locked on to the Astra 1 satellite which must be just above the horizon. My disk was pointing down as are all of those mounted on local houses.

You will be unsurprised to hear that Kerriann soon changed channel away from the news and found a  program about the 1960s naturist movement in Germany which would have been fascinating had either of us spoken the language. It was, however, extremely amusing to watch black and white footage of nude Germans cavorting around playing volley ball, doing yoga, and all manner of outdoor pursuits. This was followed by a programme on German folk music that made The Wurzels look current.

Out of interest we are now North 69° 36’12” and still heading north but only for another day as we hope to reach our most northerly target (the Alta rock carvings) tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Soggy Return

It wasn’t the welcome home we expected - torrential rain, flooding, and giant potholes in pretty much every road we drove on today. Ugh! The...