Wednesday 26 September 2018

Pootling Through the Alps

It’s been a twiddly few days driving through the Alps. Graham seems to love the windy roads but I’m not so keen, especially as I’m the one in the middle of the road when we’re approaching a speeding truck. Despite my extreme terror the mountains have been stunning (of course) and the scenery spectacular (naturally). I think I prefer more open spaces; I find the mountains claustrophobic despite their beauty.

We spent a night at the medieval town on Chalons near the less attractive city of Albertville. I pigged out on a trio of lasagne at the only open restaurant. Graham sheeped out on some lamb and Hugo dogged out on our leftovers.
St Hugues de Chartreuse 

Last night we were in the middle of b...f... nowhere surrounded by amazing scenery (again). St Hughes de Chartreuse isa skiiing village outside Chambery down a particularly windy road with several tunnels. Graham loved the drive - I didn’t- but it was worth it in the end. UNfortunately we had to go back the way we came and we’re now in Marsanne drinking holy water form the pilgrimage site of Note Dame de Fresneau.
Chalons




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Soggy Return

It wasn’t the welcome home we expected - torrential rain, flooding, and giant potholes in pretty much every road we drove on today. Ugh! The...